Chicken Fettuccine with Veggie Sauce
This is a "use up a bunch of stuff from the fridge" recipe.
Write a review
- 1 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1/2 Lb Organic Whole Wheat Fettuccine Pasta (Bionature)
- 1/2 C Yellow Pepper strips
- 1/2 C Red Pepper strips
- 1/2 C Zucchini strips
- 1/2 C Yellow Summer Squash strips
- 1/2 M Onion halved and sliced
- 1/2 C Baby Spinach de-stemmed and sliced
- 1 Sm (or 1/2 Cup) Tomato diced
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
- 4 White Mushrooms, sliced or slivered
Hold these until blender
- 1/4 C heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (spicy)
- 1-3/4 oz grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 green onion
- 6-8 Fresh Basil Leaves sliced finely
- Cut chicken into cubes. How big you want your pieces of chicken is up to you but 1/2" - 3/4" seems to work pretty well.
- Peal and crush two cloves of garlic then mince.
- Add two tsp of oil to your frying pan and set to medium.
- Once oil is hot (starts to shimmer) add chicken and stir to make sure the pieces are separated.
- Salt and pepper liberally.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until chicken any water is cooked off and chicken is just starting to brown. (Between stirring, you can start prepping the veggies.)
- Turn burner up to medium-high. Add another couple of teaspoons of oil and stir in the minced garlic.
- Cook, stirring regularly until chicken is lighly browned.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
Vegetables and Sauce
- Cut onions, peppers as listed above.
- Add onion and pepper strips and remaining oil to skillet or saucepan on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add water to pot for pasta and start heating to a boil. Continue to prepare vegetables but add pasta once water has come to a rolling boil. (Cook pasta per directions on the package.)
- While onions and peppers sweat, prepare remaining garlic and other vegetables (EXCEPT green onions and basil) as noted in ingredients list.
- Add everything except the items under "Hold these until blender" to the pan and heat on medium until softened then turn burner to low. (It will look like a lot but will cook down quite a bit.)
- Spoon 1/2 of the mixture from pan into blender or food processor along with the 1/4 C heavy cream.
- Mix/blend until an even colored sauce has formed.
- Pour sauce back into pan with the other half of the vegetables and stir in the red pepper flakes and most of the Parmesan cheese (saving enough to sprinkle over final dish.) Simmer on low.
- Chop up green onion and Chiffonade the basil. Save some of the green part of the green pepper to sprinkle over finished dish.
- Stir 1/2 tsp salt, the chicken, the rest of the green pepper and the basil into the sauce and sprinkle generously with pepper.
- When pasta is done, strain, top with sauce, sprinkle with grated Parmesan and green onion
- Serve and enjoy.
- This recipe should quite forgiving when it comes to exact quantities of the individual vegetables. If your family really likes (or dislikes) any of the veggies you can plan with the quantities.
- 432 Calories, 17g fat, 690mg sodium (29%), 45 g Carbs (15%),8g Fiber (32%), 26.5g Protein
- Vitamins/Minerals: 342mg Potassium, A 64%, Calcium 21%, Iron 11%, C 181%
- If you are concerned about the salt and the fat, you could cut back a bit on the salt and and olive oil and could try half-and-half (real, not non-dairy) instead of heavy cream. Honestly though, the nutrition info overall is pretty appropriate for a dinner. Most of the fats are healthy fats too.
Our Journey Into Whole Foods* http://www.wholefoodsjourney.com/